D+WC experts are available to consult with any healthcare stakeholder who requires functional expertise. The ADA Act is now over twenty-five years old yet, there remain unmet needs in terms of fulfilling the spirit of this law. With its passage, ADA established a “clear and comprehensive national mandate for the elimination of discrimination against people with disabilities.
Three prongs of ADA determine who is accorded legal protection:
- The presence of a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities
- A record of having such an impairment
- Being perceived by others as having such an impairment
Physical and Occupational Therapists are THE FUNCTIONAL EXPERTS when it comes to human movement, mobility, and activities of daily living. Identification and remediation of functional impairments with or without reasonable accommodations are our specialties.
- D+WC can provide experts to assist its clients in ADA compliance through:
- Review of accessibility plans for students and workers
- Clinical assessment of impairments and disabilities
- Development/recommendation of “reasonable accommodations”
- Identification of environmental barriers and review of construction plans
Note: D+WC can assess ADA compliance issues with consideration of Workers’ Compensation (WC), Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) requirements. DplusWC does NOT provide legal consultation.